5 Simple Tips For New Vegans
So you've just decided to go vegan, but have no idea where to start? Here are 5 easy tips to help you get started today!
- Do your research first, look up simple vegan recipes, follow vegan accounts on Instagram, use social media to find vegan accounts or youtube accounts.
- Take it slowly, replace a part of the meat, dairy, and eggs in your diet with vegan options first. One example is to reduce the mince in your chili and increase the beans or use a vegan mince. Increase as you get more comfortable.
- Start with one meal a day first, I find breakfast is the easiest meal to switch first, as dairy can easily be replaced by the many dairy-free options available today. Oats with coconut milk, use almond milk in your smoothies are just some examples.
- Try out a vegan restaurant in your town or find a new recipe and attempt at the weekend or when you have more time, keep it simple, to begin with!
- Track your food intake for a few days each week to ensure you are not missing any vital nutrients or eating too few calories. Often people will simply eliminate meat, dairy & eggs without replacing the calories. It's vital to avoid this as now is not the time to restrict calories, your body is already getting used to new foods, don't add the stress of reduced calories. It's also important to track micronutrients that's why I recommend using Cronometer, free from the app store.
There are 5 simple tips to help you get started if you need more help check out my January program here.